Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Cafe Del Mar

Not sure if you could call this place an institution, a tradition, and now a record label, but whatever you want to call it, there is no other place that I have been to that strikes an emotion that sitting at Cafe Del Mar and watching sunset does. Located on the famous 'Sunset Strip' in the town of San Antonio, it may have the bigger, louder and more popular sibling of Cafe Mambo next door, and many other smaller places have poped up nearby (including a sushi bar and an Italian restaurant that has probably the best Tiramisu that I've ever had, and yes it was in Spain, and that's a big call coming from me), but to me Cafe Del Mar is the original and the best.

It's a relatively simple concept, you take a seat at a table with a view of the sea (try and get there early), order a drink from the menu (cocktail of choice is Mojito, which the island is famous for, or a jug of Sangria) and listen to a unique style of music that originates from this place which is now known worldwide, as you watch one of the most spectacular sunsets I have ever seen.

Even if you can't afford to sit at Cafe Del Mar or you can't get a table, you can always sit in front along the beach and listen to the music and bring your own drinks/food instead.

In total I watched about 4 sunsets on the strip, all at different places, and every sunset was different, but the first and last ones I will remember the most as it's the only time I have seen a sunset end with an applause from all the people watching. Enough of me talking, enjoy some of the photos below.





2 comments:

  1. OK if you are going to keep posting photos like this I am going to stop following, it's just too hard after a week @ SMC coming home to THIS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laurie, just think that there are some beautiful places in the world and one day you hope that you can see them. Being in Ibiza was a dream for me, and there won't be too many posts from here

    ReplyDelete